Mines Inspector Reports
MINERS KILLED BY YEAR
Jermyn No 2 Breaker:
The Jermyn No 2 was located along Marion and
Railroad St near the present day high school. It
operated with two shafts and a slope, and later
had a separate washery. It was built in July
1890. Culm from the piles is mixed with water
pumped from the lower levels of the mines to
help flush the upper level chambers and gangways
to prevent cave in's under the downtown area.
Little is known about both of the Jermyn
Collieries other than what equipment was added
or when new slopes or internal shafts were sunk.
No photos have been found for these
structures. Records for the Jermyn No1 and No2
after 1910 are combined under one listing.
Between 1890 and 1907, the Jermyn No 2
produced 2,670,543 tons of coal.
In 1906 the Jermyn Collieries are sold to the
Erie, and all operations at the Jermyn
collieries closed in 1938.
This breaker is
still being researched.