The William A. was owned by the Lehigh Valley
Railroad and operated by the Connell Coal
Company under William A. Connell. The colliery
was located in Connells Patch near the
Lackawanna-Luzerne County line. The breaker was
an over shaft design with two separate outside
shafts and newly constructed around 1890 with a
capacity of around 1000 tons per day.
In 1892 new electric pumps capable of moving
216,000 gallons of water in a 24 hour period
were installed to replace the steam pumps common
at the time.
It was destroyed by fire on February 18,
1895. The breaker had a large supply of
unprocessed coal on hand and was quickly rebuilt
to resume production.
A 1901 Mine Inspectors report list 384,584
tons of coal mined with 702 workers total.
In 1905 a new steam boiler was installed
producing 2100 horsepower. Steam was also being
supplied to the Lawrence in Ransom, and Babylon
In 1906 a new haulage tunnel was constructed
underground to the Babylon workings and later
extended to the No 10 Tunnel at the base of
Cambles Ledge. This improve the transport of
coal to the breaker. By 1907 all coal from the
No 10 Tunnel, Babylon shaft and drift, Lawrence
shaft and drifts are conveyed underground to the
William A. in this manor.
By 1911 the Lawrence and Babylon mines are
idle but are still use for ventilation and
In 1915 the oil burning locomotive used on
the No 10 Tunnel run was replaced with an
electric mine motor car, using an overhead 400
volt trolley cable.
On January 2, 1918, the William A was again
destroyed by fire. Coal is still mined and
brought to the surface by the other shafts
outside the building and being sent to the
Austin, Stevens and Coxey breakers by railroad
until arrangements are made to move all coal to
the Seneca Breaker in Pittston via the Coxton
Yards, this continued past 1945.
Records from 1890 to 1945 show over
10,962,990 tons of coal was produced.